On March 2, 2021, the General Department of Customs issued Official Letter No. 74 / TCHQ-GSQL providing guidance on procedures for import of printed origin packages, trademarks and expiry dates ( in commercial form and non commercial form)
The key contents are:
- For import of packages for packing goods but not showing any information on the package:
Customs authorities and customs declarants carry out normal customs procedures (as prescribed in Circular No. 38/2015 / TT-BTC (amended and supplemented in Circular No. 39/2018 / TT-BTC) ).
- For import of packages with some information pre-printed (such as brand, origin, expiry date, …):
- For the type of processing, export production, export processing: The customs declarant shall carry out the import procedures for the goods being packages to pack exported goods as prescribed in Clause 4 Article 54 of the Circular. No. 38/2015 / TT-BTC (amended and supplemented in Circular No. 39/2018 / TT-BTC).
- For import of packages according to the type of production business: customs declarants shall follow customs procedures for imported packages to pack goods produced by the enterprise for export or domestic consumption. .
3.The customs office does not carry out the customs procedures for imported packages with pre-printed trademarks or foreign origins (such as Made in Japan, Made in USA, …).
4. Specialized management policy to imported packaging:
For imported packaging which is the packaging used in direct contact with food: Enterprises must make self-declaration of products for food containers, packaging materials in direct contact with food ( Decree No. 15/2018 / ND-CP dated February 2, 2018 of the Government and other documents)
For contents printed on imported packages: Contents printed on imported packages must not violate the provisions of Article 9 of Decree No. 60/2014 / ND-CP dated June 19, 2014 of the Government.
Article 9. Prohibited acts ( Article 9 of Decree No. 60/2014 / ND-CP )
1. Prepress, press, postpress or photocopying of printed products and other papers containing the following contents:
a/ Propaganda against the State of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam; undermining the national great unity bloc;
b/ Propaganda to incite wars of aggression, terrorism and separatism, cause hatred and cause division among nations and peoples; provoke violence; spread reactionary ideas, debauched and obscene lifestyles; criminal acts, social evils, superstitious practices; and undermine fine customs and traditions;
c/ Disclosing state secrets, personal privacy and other secrets prescribed by law;
d/ Distorting history, negating revolutionary achievements; hurting the nation, national famous people and heroes; using Vietnam maps without showing or incorrectly showing national sovereignty; slandering, or hurting the prestige of, agencies and organizations or the honor and dignity of, individuals.
2. Printing or photocopying service establishments operating without printing licenses or registering or declaring operation in accordance with this Decree.
3. Abusing prepress, press, postpress or photocopying operations to illegally create and disperse printed products with contents in violation of Clause 1 of this Article; forging papers of state agencies; directly or indirectly producing counterfeit goods.
4. Conducting prepress, press or postpress in violation of the law on intellectual property or infringement upon lawful rights and interests of organizations and individuals.
5. Using printing equipment that serve internal activities for creating printed products for commercial purposes.
6. Manufacturing or importing printing equipment in violation of this Decree and other relevant regulations.
Other related violations as prescribed by law.